Litter picking espouses values of Green and Clean and Community; helping to maintain a litter-free environment-one small step in saving the earth. But what is so great about the action of picking up littered trash?
Focus is on Community:
§ Socializing as you clean up with others in Y/our town, city, or village.
§ Provides a civics lesson and a positive example to children and others.
§ Do-Bee it’s the Vermont way. Read the Do-Bee way @http://bit.ly/HokrBK
§ Relationships created and nurtured through invitation and participation.
§ Coalitions/Alliances: Connecting businesses, non-profits, and community groups creates synergy where 1+1=3.
§ Small local projects are great catalyst for change in behavior and action while building trust and cohesion in the community.
Vision and Values
· Demonstrates Green and Clean and citizenship values.
· Inclusion. Open to all individuals as well as group activism and self-determination.
· Giving back to, taking responsibility for, taking pride in, your hometown.
All Season Sport
· Read the litter picking All Season Sport point system @ http://bit.ly/16J3xUu
· A chance to publish your litter pick photos on Litterati @ http://www.litterati.org/ via https://twitter.com/litterati
(Litter, just picked up, is beautiful.)
Personal and immediate as well as long-term satisfaction.
· Problem solving that is easy to do, requiring little to no special tools or technology.
· Stirs up hope, lifts up a neighborhood, and creates a feeling of empowerment through positive action by the residents themselves. Re-affirms hope and faith that change is possible.
CouponsClean up coupon @http://bit.ly/1bW0nAR . Print and redeem at any store.
· Globally important, with global impact; affected and implemented at a local level.
· Save Earth close to home. JONATHAN PORRITT, ONE OF ENGLAND’S LEADING GREEN ACTIVISTS, declares “Most people think the environment is everything that happens outside our lives. Yet this is a huge philosophical error creating a false divide between us and the physical world. We need to.. acknowledge that the environment is rooted in our sense of place: our homes, our streets, our neighborhoods, our communities…
· Earth, the only planet with people and litter; easier to clean it up than move.
Schedule free:Any time, any day, any place-litter picking avails itself to your calendar.
Membership:Join planetary pickers caring for the Earth, 365. Read about a few planetary pickers and litter-gitters, and trash paddlers, @ http://bit.ly/17Ujfwt
§ Opportunity to find treasures from coins, to tools, to the unimaginable.
§ Some found items even lend themselves to creative storytelling.
§ Jump-on-it deal @http://bit.ly/17Wk2go
Exercise:Walking, stretching, bending, and incentive to get outside in all seasons.
Differentiate your members:
· Be the first business on your block to maintain a litter free storefront every day.
· Be the first neighborhood to organize a meet up and cleanup throughout the year.
Add to the Field GuideChance to add your own entry to the Litter Field Guide book. Preview @ http://bit.ly/16J3WpT
· See and think things that were previously unexposed. http://bit.ly/1azoNyJ
· Relaxing, and calming. Makes you feel _____ (fill in the blank). Others responded it makes them feel: great, awesome, hopeful, happy, empowered, relief, they made a difference, exuberant, like a superhero, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, peaceful and grounded.
· Read how other global litter pickers feel when they pick up trash – 365 @ http://www.litterwithastorytotell.blogspot.com/2013/04/earth-day-how-i-feel-when-i-pick-up.html.
Litter Picking is an All Season Sport.
· Building a good life in community. http://www.johnlord.net/New%20Paradigm/Building%20a%20Good%20Life.pdf
· How a community initiative creates networks to improve well-being. http://rwjcsp.unc.edu/about/articles/S292-S299.pdf
· Sustaining community-based initiatives. http://community-wealth.org/_pdfs/tools/cdcs/tool-kellogg-cmty-cap.pdf
· 16 ways to make your neighborhood safer, greener and more fun. http://onthecommons.org/magazine/16-ways-make-your-neighborhood-safer-greener-and-more-fun